Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mardi Gras for Reinhardts

I am lucky enought to have been to two Mardi Gras in New Orleans....and so I have always had fun celebrating as best I can wherever I have been....and the last three years in Vegas have had a king cake shipped from New Orleans to share with our friends!!! I also have this purple, green, and gold umbrella...the colors are the colors of Mardi Gras, which by the way means Fat Tuesday...partying before lent begins on Ash Wednesday...and they have symbolic meaning because of the religious traditions that influence Mardi Gras....purple = justice, green = faith, gold = power. In the parades some members carry real versions of the umbrellas and dance along the parade route...


















The king cake represents a crown, as those worn by the three kings who visited the Christ child on Epiphany. So inside the cake a plastic baby Jesus, and whoever gets the slice containing it will have good luck. They also are supposed to host the next year's party!!! Lots of fun traditions!!! So Happy Mardi Gras!!!!














1 comment:

April said...

I didn't know that you were in New Orleans for a while! Thanks for the Mardi Gras lesson- I never knew what it was about!!