| I am still debating how successful I am at being a home school teacher. I find that the things I struggled with when I was teaching high school are still a challenge for me. For example, my worst teaching trait was that students learned they could lead me off on tangents with questions because I just loved discussing things. Before you know it we've spent a half hour off topic....eeek! Tyler is a master at this but not by his own design...his mind naturally wanders :) Wonder where he got it :)! I wanted to share an example...we recently bought a set of silly mustache stickers that I wanted to use with a photo for creative writing We pulled the sticker sheet out and I saw a Hitler mustache on it and was upset. I grabbed it off the sheet and threw it away but not before Tyler asked "Why are you throwing that away?" Well...what to do?? So of course we discussed WWII today and that there were 5.5 million Jewish deaths and over 60 million deaths total and it was mostly due to Adolf Hitler who had a mustache like that sticker. We broke it down the large numbers to how many times Hitler (and other men) would have killed our whole extended family. Over 220,000 times for Jewish deaths and 2.4 million times for all war casualties. I am not sure if this really means anything to a first grader, but I wanted him to know how sad it was that someone thought it was OK to put that sticker in this package! We moved on to what we were actually doing, a story of a spy :) I will post it when it is complete! Another funny thing about home school is lack of interaction. This morning Tyler asked where his classmates where? What? "I have a surprise Mom.....we go into the room and Tyler has his "classmates" lined up on the bed. He is so social and it is the one thing I am bummed about by doing this!! Hope I don't scar him!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment