Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Beach Day

For the last term of the year, and in preparation for summer the school has a beach day! It is to get the kids aware of the things they need to know to be safe in the sun and swimming in the ocean. We went to the Waimari Surf and Rescue Station and had four lovely life guards teach all the Year 3 kids! They also did some relays, played a game like red rover, and built sand castles. They got to tour the facilities and see the different boats used to patrol and rescue swimmers/surfers. It was all very cool, excluding the fact that it was raining and cold! So the poor kiddos didn't get to swim! They were dressed to, and there was much debate as to whether or not it would be a polar bear swim or not, but luckily they decided it was too cold.….I was hoping the whole time we wouldn't swim….(crazy Kiwi's it is only 50 degrees with a steady drizzle!!!) But I too was prepared to get in if the kids were! The chaperones had to swim along because we had to form an adult wall around the swimming kiddos to be sure all was well with that many kids in the water! As the kids played games and whether or not we would be swimming was still debated….I looked out at the waves crashing and thought…..oh great I am going to have to be rescued by these sweet life guards and be an example for all these kids!! Luckily no near drowning occurred! I am NOT AN OCEAN GIRL!!!

No comments: