Thursday, November 28, 2013

Slight Misunderstandings

I am truly amazed at how much I don't understand of what is spoken around me each day! In Japan at least people spoke broken English to me, and usually slowly…..here when I start to look confused they just keep going or throw in a ton more slang which I have no idea what it would mean?!?!?!?! Now part of it is my fault…. I have a very hard time admitting that I don't UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!! So much of my frustration is internal, however here are some that I actually questioned folks on to ask why in the world they use this instead of the more common words….because almost 100% of the time they know the word commonly used.

busk= If you're child would like to busk at the school fair (pronounced feeeer) make sure they get there by 9am.

It means street perform with a cap out for coins!

togs/jandals= Bring your togs and jandals for the beach outing next week.

tog is a swim suit….both male and female
jandals…flip flops, not sandals because they have those as well!

mufti/gold coin donation= Mufti day to raise funds for typhoon victims in the Philippines. Gold coin donation, and any other generous donations accepted.

Mufti….plain clothes since the kids in Christchurch wear a uniform. We have discovered that this used to be universal in New Zealand but there are now many schools in different parts of the country that allow mufti's every day. Christchurch is just very conservative and likes it's traditions! The high school…i.e. College uniforms are crazy. 3 piece suits for boys and dresses with blouses and jackets for girls. Some of the prices we have seen are insane….like $300 for a jacket ONLY!!!

Gold Coin Donation…..the gold coin is a $1 coin. However the $2 dollar coin looks like the same material so I had to ask which it was!! There is a 10, 20, and 50 cent coin also but most stores use the rounding system meaning an item for sale that is "1 dollar...99", you would be charged $2. The smallest paper bill is $5. Due to the inflated price of things the tooth fairy recently brought Tyler a $10.00 bill which won't even buy him a small Lego set. The dollar stores here are $3 dollar stores…ha ha

I have heard a song that I love on the radio for weeks so I wrote down the name and was finally looking it up on iTunes after hearing the name MANY times!

Safe and Sound by Candle City

Well it is by Capital City……how can I mistake Capital for Candle??? It is just baffling to me! Too Funny!!

In this youTube clip you can hear the challenges I face. Everything is "sweet as" "beached as" "xxx as" There is a S*** word…which is also pretty common, even around children. Kiwi's are made fun of most for how the alter the vowels so "as" sounds like "is" and "chip" sounds like "chop", etc. Funny stuff!!

No comments: